Today was Ryder's first day of school. We thought it would be a good idea to give him a trial run this week, going 3 days. It also gives me a chance to adjust to not being with my baby all day. He and I have spent just about every day together since he was 10 mo and we moved back home to Dallas. Deep down I know he needs to play with kids his age and learn to socialize. He was very excited to go to school. He even wanted to carry the back pack with his blanket in it.
Once we got to school he seemed really eager to get going. I think he thought it was gonna be like going into Chick Fil A and running for the playground. Once he saw all the kids gathered in the big room he turned to me and said " mom, hold" Talking about crushing your heart. The little kids had already been taken to a new room, so we found them sitting on the floor playing with lego blocks. I walked in and sat on the rug with him and the other kids. He is never one to be shy or quiet, but he definitly didn't know what to think. He came over and sat on his knees and picked up a few legos to stack. The teacher then came over and sat and played with him. I saw that as my chance to sneek away without him noticing. I don't think I would have been able to leave him if he saw me and started to cry. Later that afternoon I went back and picked him up. His teacher said he had a good day and she bragged about how independent and smart he is. Its nice to know other people think the same we do;)
The rest of the week went good until Friday morning. He didn't want to have anything to do with school. I tried comforting him and tried to get him interested in toys but he just wasn't having it. finally, the teaching had to help pry him off. By this point both he and I were in tears. It breaks my heart to see him sad. Next week will be interesting once I officially start back to work and the grind begins. Hopefully he gets accustom to it and drop off gets easier. I don't know if I can take many more days like that. Thank goodness for video monitoring. I will be checking on him frequently throughout the day!

No comments:
Post a Comment